The Squire Butler story
On a cold day in February 1934, three thousand people were attending a funeral in St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York city. They had come to pay their respects and say farewell to a well-known businessman, who in his lifetime had made a vast fortune from establishing a chain of stores across America and who had given generously to the Catholic Church and other charitable organisations. He was known as ‘the Squire’ and originally hailed from a small towns land near Inistioge in Co Kilkenny. His name was James Butler.
James Butler was born to a farming family near Inistioge in Co Kilkenny in 1855, ten years after the famine ended in Ireland. At the age of twenty he emigrated to Boston to join his brother who had moved there previously. James secured employment in a local hotel and later moved to Chicago where he worked as a kitchen hand in the Sherman Hotel. From there he moved to New York and worked his way up to food service operations at the Windsor Hotel. When Grover Cleveland was inaugurated as President, it was Butler who oversaw his banquet.
His career saw him work in several other hotels in New York City before meeting with P J O’Connor (the son of his Irish landlady), they decided to go into the grocery business, so James invested his life savings of $2000. They opened their first grocery store on 2nd Avenue in 1882. Within a year they had opened a second store at 10th Avenue. In1884, Butler bought out PJ O´Connor and renamed the business James Butler Inc. He continued to expand by opening numerous stores all over the US, all marked by their distinctive green and gold exteriors and staffed by mostly young Irish immigrants. Profits soared and soon James Butler was one of the largest grocery-chain owners in America.
James married in 1883, he and his wife Mary Ann Rourke had eleven children but sadly only four survived childhood. He was devastated when his wife Mary passed away in her early forties.
Though he had built a vast fortune, he had little time for high society. He declined to join any clubs and you would need to search long and hard to find his name listed on the Board of any companies. He was once asked to run for both Mayor of New York and for Congress but his response to both offers was “I’m a butter-and-egg man”. Although a country gentleman of some wealth, he liked to be known as “Squire Butler”.
By 1909 he was the owner of 200 stores and having made his money in the grocery business, he then set about his real passion: breeding horses. He bought trotting horses for harness-racing, and by the end of the nineteenth century his stable was winning many races at Belmont Park in Long Island. Butler rarely spent money foolishly and resented the considerable cost of transporting horses to the racecourse at Belmont Park. His solution? Build his own racecourse: Empire City in Yonkers. Empire City billed itself as the workingman’s alternative to the snooty track at Belmont and became known as “the little track beside the water tower”.
Discovering there was more money to be made in racing thoroughbreds than in harness-racing, Squire Butler decided that he wanted a piece of that action. Unfortunately, the New York Jockey Club would not give him a license, which he felt was because he was an Irish Catholic and an outsider, as far as the Protestant Blue Bloods who running the Jockey Club were concerned. In 1907 after a three-year court case, he was finally granted a racing license. He also acquired Laurel Track in Maryland and became part owner of a track in Juarez, Mexico.
Throughout its long history, over one million horses have raced at Yonkers Raceway. Some of the most legendary thoroughbreds made history on the track including the infamous Seabiscuit, the American Horse of the Year 1938. Yonkers racetrack is still thriving today and the J. Butler Saloon was opened on the first floor of the Yonkers Raceway grandstand in early 1980. Yonkers Raceway is now known as the Empire Casino and Raceway.
Whilst an astute businessman and racehorse owner, Butler made vast contributions to St Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan. He also paid off the debt owed by his parish church in Pocantico Hills and donated several stained-glass windows. He donated land to the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, funded the establishment of Marymount College and funded the purchase of the Otto H. Kahn House in Manhattan for the Convent of the Sacred Heart. He was named a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, by Pope Pius.
By the time of his death, Butler's grocery store chain had grown to 1,100 stores and was the sixth largest in the U.S. His son James Butler Jr became the President of the company in 1935. However, as the great depression took hold in the thirties the US economy was badly impacted, and the Butler company suffered badly. By the end of the 1930s only one lone store was still operating in Queens. In October 1940 however, James Jr was killed tragically after being thrown from a horse, leading to the end of the Butler empire.
Magdalene Parish Church Pontico Hills Tarrytown New York
James never lived to see his empire crash, he died a wealthy man aged 79 years and was interred in the family crypt, located under the Butler Memorial Chapel in Marymount Convent in Tarrytown.
Throughout his active life he worked hard, had many interests, and established one of the largest companies in the US. He made millions, he donated millions. His net worth in 1934 was $30,000,000 which would be equivalent to $592,000,000 today. From humble beginnings in Inistioge this proud Kilkenny man made a difference to all he encountered.
Most of us have seen the film Schindler’s List, a brilliant movie starring Irish actor Liam Neeson.
During the evil years of the Nazi regime, good men from all walks of life in many countries, did something to prevent the triumph of evil. One such Man was Hubert Butler, a market gardener from Bennettsbridge, who saved at least one hundred Jews from Nazi death camps - our very own Oscar Schindler. This is his astonishing story.
Hubert Butler was born on October 2, 1900 in Maiden Hall, Bennettsbridge, Co Kilkenny into a prominent Anglo-Irish family. After graduating from St John’s College, Oxford, Butler went on to teach English in Leningrad, now St Petersburg, in Russia. In the aftermath of World War I, Germany struggled to understand their country’s uncertain future. Citizens faced poor economic conditions, skyrocketing unemployment, political instability and profound social change. This lead to the rise of Hitler, the influence of his anti-Semitic views and the birth of the Nazi party.
On March 11–13 1938, German troops marched in and annexed Austria into the German Reich. A wave of street violence began against Jewish persons and property in Vienna and other cities throughout the so-called Greater German Reich during the spring, summer, and autumn of 1938.
Hubert Butler was outraged by anti-Semitic vibes not only in Germany but in many European countries as well. Butler who himself spoke Serbo-Croat and Russian, travelled to Austria with his wife Peggy and worked closely with the Quakers to get dozens of Jews out of Vienna. They gained entry to various embassies to speak to those in charge and to help the fleeing Jews before they were rounded up by the Nazis, so they could be saved from concentration camps like Auschwitz.
Between 1938 and 1939 the Quaker International Centre in Vienna handled and processed the paperwork for over 11,000 applications, affecting some 15,000 people who were desperate to obtain passports and exit visas. The Centre managed to help over 4,500 people settle in other countries.
During Butler’s time at the Quaker International Centre, he and his colleagues helped 2,408 Jews leave Austria including 100 to Ireland. He had to break the law by shipping people out of Austria, getting them to England and then have his wife Peggy meet them and take them illegally to his home in Bennettsbridge before getting them onwards from there. You can only imagine the danger and the logistics in getting those people out of secure borders across to Ireland.
Operating on his own initiative, he called in favours and did whatever he could to shelter adults and children at a time when the Irish Government’s official line was only to take in Christian refugees. One of the first he rescued was a journalist and converted Jew Erwin Strunz and his family, who eventually settled in Waterford.
Friend Judge Peter Smithwick recalled: “Hubert was invited to go to a meeting with the International Affairs Association in Dublin in 1952, where he clashed with the Church when he revealed it’s close ties with the murderous Ustasa regime in Croatia, which had slaughtered 500,000 Orthodox Serbs, Jews and gypsies. Butler opposed the campaign to forcibly convert Orthodox Serbs to Catholicism in wartime Croatia. The Papal Nuncio, American Archbishop O’Hara, walked out of the meeting when Butler began to speak.
People believed Butler had insulted the Vatican’s representative and the Church turned their backs on him after this meeting. President at the time Sean T O’Kelly, blacklisted him in a secret caveat and there was pretty much across-the-board condemnation by many, including politicians, his neighbours and some who were friends. It ranged from creamery boards/mayors, the aldermen to committees he belonged to. He was also forced to resign from the Kilkenny Archaeological Society of which he was secretary and which he had helped to revive in 1944.
Whenever Hubert Butler was asked to fill out a form requiring him to state his occupation, he replied: ‘Market gardener’. He wasn’t joking. Butler was an enthusiastic gardener who sold his own vegetables in the Market Yard in Kilkenny and sent truckloads of apples to the markets in Dublin.
He wrote several essays about atrocities being carried out across Europe, particularly in Austria and Croatia. Writers John Banville and Roy Foster described him as “one of the great Irish writers” as well arguably our greatest human rights campaigner. Hubert Butler, the award-winning essayist died in 1991. A conference celebrating his life and work was held in October 2000. Mayor of Kilkenny Mr Paul Cuddihy offered an apology on behalf of the people of Kilkenny and stated that Butler had stood up for what he believed in and suffered for it. He was ostracised from his community for his pursuit of the truth.
He is buried five miles from the family home at St. Peter's Church, Ennisnag, Co Kilkenny. The Kilkenny Art Gallery Society's Gallery in Kilkenny Castle was named Butler Gallery in honour of Hubert and Peggy. The Gallery is now located in the refurbished Evan’s Home at John’s Quay.
Hubert Butler: A man before his time.
Starved prisoners, nearly dead from hunger, pose in a concentration camp in Ebensee, Austria, on May 7, 1945. The camp was reputedly used for “scientific” experiments.
Hubert as a Young man
Hubert & Peggy Butler
Sean Brennan’s GAA Career in his beloved County.
Our classmate and former Chairman Sean Brennan has just retired his career as referee. A GAA man through and through, Gaelic sport has been part of Sean’s whole life since the early days in Fatima Place, beginning with his first competitive games in 1954/1955 while in primary school. His many accolades began when in 1959 he was presented with the School League Cup by the great Jim Langton, having captained his team to victory against their rivals led by Eamon Morrissey.
Success came regularly, winning a minor championship medal with St Canice’s in 1963 and senior championship medals with James Stephens in 1969, 1975, 1976 and 1981, not to mention Leinster and All Ireland club title medals in 1976 and 1982. During this time, Sean was also a member of the Kilkenny Senior Panel from 1968 to 1970, captaining the team in a fixture against Clare in 1969/70. His many honours also include senior football championship medals with Muckalee in 1968, The Village in 1976 and an Oireachtas medal with Kilkenny in 1969.
He was a Selector for various Senior, Junior, Minor and underage teams including a victorious Kilkenny U-16 team at an Arrabawn Co-Op All Ireland Inter County hurling competition. And as a Coach he was instrumental in developing the Sunday morning underage training sessions in 1990 which then developed all over Ireland. Some of Kilkenny’s inter county hurlers can thank Sean for his coaching tuition when as youngsters they learned the art of hurling before going on to win all Ireland honours with the Kilkenny senior panel.
Sean became a referee in the 1980s, presiding over many league and championship games of all grades. In more recent years he was most often called upon to preside over underage fixtures, where he used his role to educate and encourage young players. He was highly respected by players, Managers and spectators alike.
We cannot fail to mention that Sean was the first player to wear the now famed hurling glove in Croke Park in the Leinster hurling final of 1970 against Wexford. It was Sean who invented this glove and the original glove now has pride of place in the G.A.A. museum in Croke Park.
Never one to rest on his laurels, he has also played handball, basketball and athletics over the years. His son Derrick continued the tradition of playing for his beloved James Stephens. A warm, genuine and incredibly talented man and a good friend to his Classmates. You have had an immensely successful career Sean and we salute your achievements.
Matty Maher and McSorley's Ale House New York City
Matty Maher proprietor of McSorley’s old Ale House and originally from Threecastles in County Kilkenny, died on the 11th January this year aged 80. His funeral on a bright, crisp morning was attended by hundreds of family and friends. His casket was escorted by two pipers from the New York fire department and carried under an arch of Hurley’s.
McSorley’s Old Ale House, opened in the mid to late 1800s, by Irish immigrant John McSorley from Omagh in County Tyrone and is the oldest Irish pub in Manhattan’s Lower East Side of New York City.
It is currently is about 164 years old. Many famous people have visited over the past hundred years including Abraham Lincoln, whose his chair now looks down over the bar, along with dusty fire helmets. The walls are covered with old artwork and newspaper articles and the floors covered with sawdust. Apparently, no piece of memorabilia has been removed from the establishment since 1910, from Houdini’s handcuffs, which remain on the rail, to the priceless turkey wishbones hanging from the oil lamp above the bar.
The story goes that some local soldiers being shipped out to France during World War 1 celebrated their final meal with their families, a turkey dinner, and each brought the wishbone to the bar. The plan was that they would return and claim their wishbones. The wishbones that remain are those of the young men who never returned.
McSorley’s has retained it’s Irish ownership since its establishment and it’s present owner is Matty’s daughter Teresa. Matty ran the Ale House for over 50 years and is survived by his wife Tess and five daughters and grandchildren.
At the age of 25, when still living in Ireland, Matty Maher noticed a car broken down on the side of the road. Inside was the then owner of McSorley’s, Harry Kirwan from Lisdowney Co Kilkenny. Kirwin was home on a visit to Ireland when he was stranded with a flat tyre on the side of the road. Matty picked him up and helped him get back on the road again. In gratitude Harry told him that if he was ever in New York City there was a job for him in McSorley's. He took up the offer in 1964, working as a waiter and bartender before buying the place from Kirwin's son, Danny, in 1977.
McSorley’s was famously a men-only establishment when Maher began plying his trade there, with its slogan boasting “good ale, raw onions and no ladies.”
A gender discrimination case in 1970 forced the pub to reverse it’s men-only policy and to drop the last two words of its enduring slogan. Matty’s daughter, Teresa Maher de la Haba would become the first female bartender to ever serve behind the bar and later became the owner after her father’s retirement.
Matty was a larger than life character, he was a five-foot-eight spark plug, with the Irish gift of the gab. His generosity knew no bounds as ale was often served free to visitors he hadn’t seen for years. You had a choice - light or dark beer and he knew all of his regular customers. The busy bar has two mottos, “Be Good or Be Gone" and "We were here before you were born." You can get a sense of what this bar is about from these two sayings, you get the vibe that this place is no nonsense, good fun and great stories. Matty was an accomplished accordion player who liked traditional music and following his favourite hurling county.
When he left poverty back in Ireland, he was determined to leave it behind for good. He saw an opportunity and believed in the American Dream. He was a traditional Irish publican who often told patrons that “It’s not what you become in life but what you overcome.”
Old John McSorley's favourite poem The Man behind the Bar makes a fitting epitaph for Matty Maher.
“When St Peter sees him coming, he will leave the gates ajar, for he knows he's had his hell on earth, has the man behind the bar”.
Teresa & Matty Maher
Tullaroan's path to the 1887 All Ireland.
In 1887 Tullaroan became the first ever County Champions after beating Mooncoin. The match was held on Kilkenny Working Men’s Club grounds on the Freshford Road and had one of the biggest crowds in attendance for a county hurling match of those times. At a time when goals outweighed any number of points, an all-important late goal is what won it for Tullaroan and with a final score of Tullaroan 1.1 to Mooncoin 0.4, never was the expression ‘goals win matches’ of greater significance.
Following their victory, Tullaroan had the honour of being the first hurling club to represent Kilkenny on the national stage. This was an open draw competition and Tullaroan were drawn to meet the champions of Cork on July 24th 1887 in Dungarvan. A huge crowd travelled to Dungarvan by train for this match, with passengers changing at trains at Waterford. Such was their numbers that passengers climbed on top of carriages, lay flat and linked arms for safety and to avoid low bridges and bellowing engine smoke!
Hurling was not the only sport being played in Dungarvan on that day. The Tullaroan hurlers were accompanied to Dungarvan by the Kilkenny Football champions from Kilmacow for what was scheduled to be a Kilkenny/Cork All-Ireland Championship double-header. Unfortunately however, that wasn’t to be. It was both success and disappointment for the Cats as the hurling did not go ahead and Kilkenny received a walkover as the team that travelled from Cork (St Finbars) hadn’t played all the qualifying matches and were not the County’s champions.
Not forgetting the football, Kilmacow won their game beating the Cork county Champions by 4 points to no score.
Tullaroan’s next fixture was the All-Ireland Hurling Quarter-Final against the Limerick Champions and they travelled to Dublin fully expecting to play Castleconnell in the grounds of the St. Patrick’s Club in Inchicore on August 28th, 1887. Kilkenny were togged out in their new jersey colours of Black & Amber for the match. Amazingly Tullaroan received yet another walk-over in this fixture, this time as a result of a dispute about which hurling club had the right to represent Limerick!
On to the All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Final and Tullaroan’s next scheduled opponents were Thurles the Tipperary Champions. This match was fixed for Clonmel on Sunday, October 23rd, 1887. On arriving at the venue, Tullaroan and Thurles found the pitch to be occupied by the hurling teams Clonmel and the previously suspended Moycarkey. Clonmel and Moycarkey were in dispute as to whether proper procedures had been followed in suspending Moycarkey.
Incredibly for the third time in as many months, the Tullaroan players were forced to leave the venue without enjoying any competitive action and the Game was re-fixed for Urlingford on Thursday afternoon 27th October 1887. Alas Kilkenny finally came to the end of this intriguing competition by losing the game to Thurles with a final match result of 4 goals to no score. Tipperary went on to win the All Ireland beating Galway. The 1887 All Ireland was played in Birr Co Offally on the 3rd April 1888 and was the very first all Ireland organised by the Gaelic Athletic Assocation for inter-county hurling teams in Ireland.
Final score Tipperary 1.1 Galway no score.
BEFORE THERE WAS MATT THE MILLER’S TAVERN
THERE WAS MATT THE MILLER.
Kilkenny, the medieval capital of Ireland, stands in the shade of the majestic Kilkenny Castle. In years gone by all castles had their own mills, which were served by local peasants, who would turn their crops in to their landlord in lieu of rent. In Kilkenny, these crops were delivered daily to a young miller named Matt who ran the Mill at its present site of John’s Bridge.
Now young Matt was an enterprising lad. He kept the best of the barley to one side and developed his own home brew. As the years went by so Matt’s brew grew stronger and more popular and he opened his own tavern in the mill.
Now at this time, condemned men were led to the gallows below Greensbridge and their last stop was said to be Matt’s tavern.
Folklore says that Kilkenny’s most infamous thieves and rogues had their last request granted of fresh fish from the adjoining River Nore, a loaf of home-made soda bread and a jug of Matt’s ale.
As the story goes, twice a year the ghost of Matt is seen in the cellar bar of Matt The Millers, just to be sure the finest of brews are still being served to the condemned rogues and thieves of Kilkenny.
Jack in The Box and Spike Island Cobh Co Cork
Did you ever wonder where the name Jack In The Box comes from?
On a recent visit to Spike Island I heard the interesting story of James Grey, who had been sentenced to a number of years imprisonment for stealing items of value from trains and ships.
James grey was a Manchester born thief who would become infamous as the criminal 'Jack In The Box'. Grey constructed a large wooden box with clever levers and hinges that meant it could be opened from the inside. He would climb inside his trunk, have a friend mail it to accomplices in Cork, Belfast and Liverpool, and while the box was en route he would climb out and pillage the carriage!
He stole jewellery, fine clothing and anything of value he could fit into his trunk before climbing back inside and on to his accomplices, leaving the mystified train staff to try and deduce how the goods were taken. His crafty thefts went unsolved for years, until a rent collector who had read in the Times about a reward for some fine shawls that were stolen from the Dublin to Cork train, visited Grey's lodgings and noticed those very same shawls draped across the chair he sat on! The house was searched and police found his clever rigged trunk and so in 1856, James Grey was arrested and sentenced to 4 years in Prison. He returned to Cork in a very different box, this time to serve his sentence at Spike Island, then the largest prison in Ireland and Britain and most probably the world. So the story goes, Jack InThe Box was a clever thief who got complacent and paid the price.
James Grey (Jack in the Box)
Spike Island Cobh Co Cork
Chernobly Children International KilkennyTo Belarus
Of the many awards Adi Roche has received, the most recent was from the Belarusian Ambassador Sergei Aleinik on behalf of his Government. The Ambassador bestowed a Certificate of Distinction on the Irish humanitarian, for her outstanding role in rehabilitating so many children through the charity ‘Adi Roche’s Chernobyl Children International’.
Belarus is a country ravaged by the effects of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster of 1986. Adi Roche from Clonmel in Tipperary and now living in Cork became involved and so began her life’s work. The Chernobyl Children’s Project International was established in 1991 and has delivered over €105 million in aid to the area’s most affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. The CCPI has brought over 25,000 children to Ireland on rest and recuperation trips, and some for life saving surgery.
Jim is a former Kilkenny person of the year and a member of O'Loughlin Gaels GAA club. He took with him a number of volunteers including classmate Eamon Morrissey and his brother Frank who himself has a long association with Belarus. This trip was an opportunity to meet up with Vacillie, a twenty eight year old young man with a heart of gold, who has been coming to Kilkenny to stay with Frank, his wife Eileen and family every year for the last seven years.
On April 19th, Jim Kavanagh from the outskirts of Kilkenny city, made the 3,000km journey to Belarus by truck. This was his 63rd humanitarian trip to Belarus where he delivered a huge truck load of aid. The truck was packed full of nappies, clothes, toiletries and toys when it left the city.
Throughout the trip Frank and Eamon helped with deliveries and with bringing aid locally to orphanages and Homes of Hope. They then drove a van that was used locally back to Kilkenny covering thousands of kilometres and travelling through numerous countries including Poland, Germany, Holland and the UK. As a society we congratulate and commend Frank and Eileen, including our classmate Eamon and all volunteers for their un-selfish, caring and ongoing commitment to the CCPI and to Vacillie who is now a lasting member of the Morrissey family.
Jim Kavanagh with volunteers including Eamon & Frank Morrissey
Adi Roche & Ambassador Sergei Aleinik
Frank & Vacillie
Volunteer helpers sorting nappies for delivery
There are many ways you can help with Chernobyl Children Project International. The CCPI welcomes all efforts and contributions. In Kilkenny, Hennessy’s Sports in Newpark Shopping Centre (Proprietor Frank Morrissey) will accept all quality children’s clothes, nappies and toys etc.
Frank & Helpers
Our Own Robin Hood.
Kilkenny’s real life ‘Robin Hood’ – James Freney
Our City and county may be small compared to the rest of Ireland, but it has produced some of the finest and most interesting characters over the centuries. One such person was the notorious Kilkenny Highwayman, ‘Captain’ James Freney our very own Robin Hood. Freney plagued the highways and countryside of Kilkenny and surrounding counties in the 1740s demanding money and valuables and threatening his victims. However as long as his victims co-operated, he responded in kind. Whenever they pleaded a special case he would return some of their money. In this and in other ways, he remained ever the gentleman, even helping the poor. This is the story of his life.
The Freney’s of Inistioge were a respectable family who had been wealthy and powerful in the region since the 13th century, having their seat at Ballyreddy Castle. Unfortunately during the 1650s they lost their lands and were reduced in status. James Freney Sr was a servant working at the home of one Joseph Robbins at Ballyduff in Thomastown, who worked his way up to become steward of the estate. In 1718 he married Robbins's housemaid, Alice Phelan, and their son James was born the following year at Alice's father's home at Inistioge.
Mrs. Robbins was fond of the young James and paid for his education. When her husband Joseph died, their son George inherited the estate and he employed James as a trainee butler. However James, who was now 16, was fond of gambling, dancing, hurling and cockfighting and had little interest in his work.
In 1742 he moved to Waterford where he met and married a young lady by the name of Anne McSorley, the daughter of shopkeepers. He used his own savings and his wife’s small dowry to open a public house. This provoked opposition because he was not a freeman of the city. And because of his confession of religion, he could not conduct a business without paying a special duty, which he refused to do. Soon the local men of commerce drove him out of business and the couple moved back to Thomastown.
Back in Thomastown, his old employer George Robbins hired him as a groom but he was soon in debt and owing his creditors a huge sum of money which he could not pay. He then met John Reddy, a member of the Kellymount gang of robbers and his career as a highwayman and robber began.
From Ballyduff he led a hectic life with his gang, robbing around south Kilkenny and Wexford. No tax collector could ply his trade, no great house could rest easy and no coach could travel the roads for several counties around with fear of a visit from Freney. Tradition tells that he worked in Ballyduff by day, but when guests arrived, he stole away to their houses to rob them. He would then be back in time to help them mount their horses in the morning. He managed to settle some old scores and remained a general vexation to the authorities for some time.
In 1745, Freney contracted smallpox and lost the sight of one eye. However, it did not diminish his shooting skills. There is an old gun known as the ‘Blunderbuss’ a wonderful piece of craftsmanship, on display today in Rothe House Museum. The engraving on the butt of this gun shows the insignia of Lord Waterford, and it is believed that Freney stole the gun from him during a raid.
As his notoriety grew, he travelled to Cork to lie low and from there he went to England where he posed for a time as a merchant in Bath and Bristol before returning to Ireland. In January 1748 he was proclaimed an outlaw with a £100 reward offered for his capture. He was given until August to surrender or suffer the charge of high treason.
Freney eventually surrendered in April 1749 having negotiated a pardon for himself through Councillor Robbins, his old employer's brother. A deal was brokered with the chief justice where he was allowed to emigrate. It is believed this deal was procured because the authorities feared executing him would make him a folk hero and lead to further disturbances. However it also meant betraying his companions and as a result the rest of the Kellymount gang went to the gallows.
It is not known where or how long he was abroad, if at all, but James Freney must have still had influential friends as in 1776 he was employed as a Supernumerary Tidewaiter (a kind of Customs Official), at New Ross Port. He held this post until his death in December 1788. Unlike other rapparees and highwaymen of the eighteenth century, he died in his bed and was buried in Inistioge, in an unmarked grave. Some of his hoard is reputed to be buried on Brandon Hill, near Graiguenamanagh and to this day remains undiscovered!